Get your Church Involved!
Refugees are survivors, leaders, teachers, artists, dreamers and laborers. They are children, forgotten, persecuted, made in God's image, our new neighbors and our future friends.
How can those of us receiving these families into our community best respond? Material needs and tangible service is helpful but the greatest gift we can give is friendship, community, belonging and acceptance as we value their stories, dreams and contributions.
Mobilize family, friends from your church to befriend a newly arriving refugee individual or family for 6 to 12 months. Ways of providing tangible care include an airport welcome, apartment set-up, provision of initial food and clothing, transportation to appointments, school registration, community orientation, English tutoring and job preparation.
In addition to your church joining a Good Neighbor Team the following ways below are different ways to get your congergation involved with refugees from World Relief.
Host a Refugee Sunday
Because the Church is the most diverse social network on the planet, World Relief believes it is local churches who can best engage this unprecedented crisis. You and the people of your church can be a part of the solution!
To help your church take your next step in engaging the current refugee crisis, we’ve developed Refugee Sunday, a practical way for your church to stand with refugees and the displaced. Email Kelsey Hulet, to get started - click here for her email.
Rally your Congregation
- Help your congregation better understand the refugee crisis by inviting a member of the World Relief staff to speak at your church.
- Check out our resource tab in order to access additional information to understand the refugee crisis, and share it with your church.
- Download a Church Leader's Tool Kit on The Syrian Refugee Crisis. Click here for the link!
- Assemble and donate a self-sufficiency kit to World Relief for an arriving refugee individual or family.
- Take an offering - organize a special offering at your church to support World Relief as it serves refugees. Checks can be sent to: 115 Washington Aveune Oshkosh WI 54901 with Refugee Crisis as the memo.
- Click here for other downloadable material to help lead your church to rally for the refugee crisis.